A couple of years ago, I was asked what kinds of theatre I was most passionate about and the answer was quite simple – Musical Theatre AND Contemporary Plays. Yes, both! I would say that Musical Theatre is my first love and has been an obsession of mine for well over thirty years. Since I was young, I started collecting every musical soundtrack, film and score I could get my hands on – this was in lieu of buying the music that “normal” kids purchased. The musicals that I am most interested in collaborating on are the smaller, lesser-known chamber works by artists such as Michael John LaChiusa, David Kirshenbaum, Jeanine Tesori, the pair of Tom Kitt and Brian Yorkey, and the pair of Benj Pasek and Justin Pau. However, I am more than capable of talking shop about all genres of musicals.
Contemporary plays are easily my favorite scripts – I will find a playwright I love and do everything I can to read all of their works. Some inspirational dramatists include Sarah Ruhl, Douglas Carter Beane, Lynn Nottage, Henry David Hwang, Terrence McNally, Amy Herzog, John Patrick Shanley, and David Lindsay-Abaire. Excellent comedies also fuel my creative process. I adore works by David Ives, Wendy Wasserstein, Christopher Durang, James Sherman, and David Sedaris. In keeping with the spirit of exposure, I hope to constantly be a proponent of female playwrights.
Ideally, I want to present theatre experiences that represent old-fashioned stories or folklore, biblical texts, and Greek mythology as seen through a contemporary lens. I am fascinated with international theatre practices like those found in India, China, and Japan that rely on drama, music, and movement to tell stories.
I received my Bachelor of Fine Arts in Acting from New York University’s Tisch School of the Arts. I spent time in the Experimental Theatre Wing, Playwright’s Horizons, and as intern on Sesame Street! Not too shabby!
“Artistically Eager” is my personal mantra and exemplifies my desire to familiarize audiences with unfamiliar shows whenever I can, wherever I can, however I can, for as long as I can.
Below are 10 Tidbits about me:
1. I am a middle child and exemplify the syndrome
2. I am both Jewish and Texan at the same time
3. My favorite Muppets are blue: Cookie Monster, Grover, Gonzo, and Sam the Eagle
4. High on my bucket list is holding a baby panda at the Chengdu Wolong Nature Reserve
5. Although my hands are height challenged and small, I adore composing music on the piano
6. My astrological information is as follows: Sagittarius – Sun, Cancer – Moon, Gemini – Rising
7. I dig meditation, mantras, zen, dharma, karma and chakras
8. I am still growing into my name and will reach my full “Carol-ness” in my fifties
9. There is nothing “quiet” about me except my husband
10. My sense of humor rivals all of the great comedians (obviously)